Tuesday 16 December 2014

Arriving in Toronto on a Saturday night

Schiphol departure
12.08 just two minutes until we start boarding the airplane, no delays, perfect! Started some small-talk with three Canadians waiting in the same area. 12.11 'we're sorry to report the aircraft will be delayed for 1 hour and 10 minutes, please proceed to gate E9'. Gate E9 was packed, so I followed my new travel companions to E8 which was mostly empty. We chatted on cultural differences, explaining Zwarte Piet caused many laughs after getting over the racist impact (not going into the discussion, I'm against it, but this is about an external party observing our weird customs not my personal views on that topic). I learned a lot about Canadians and Canada before I even boarded the plane. They gave me some good tips on bars and websites, and told me that apparently Canada attacked the U.S. and burned the white house in the war of 1810. They might want to worry about not upsetting the North. 
This all takes place with the occasional announcement on our flight status followed by 'please be patient and don't touch the button!'. We tried to find the infamous button without succes. Fortunately after going through customs we found some new entertainment quickly dubbed 'killer granny'. An old Dutch lady who did or didn't do something was making a big issue about being scanned and searched. We couldn't make out what it was, but after she tried to hit the customs officer our entertainment was set. Soon after we boarded. I quickly learned that Canadians actually have a good grasp of international politics and history, and that they truly are more open minded than we are, even though we pride ourself to be so. I said goodbye to my companions and proceeded to my seat where I met the friendliest Canadian lady I've met so far. She just became a grandmother to a daughter that lives in the Netherlands. In the seven hour flight I only spend some time reading and watching series, the rest of the time I spend chatting with her about Canada, the Netherlands and other small talk. Again I gained a lot of new insights into my new home, with an array of tips and goto places. 

Arrival 
Soon after arriving I am sent through customs, declared not to have ebola and proceeded to the visa office. The office was a large row of desks all occupied by strict looking officers, and I was the only person there. I hand in my letter of acceptance and passport, and answer a few questions. Luckily I packed the letter the university sent me, because apparently they needed more info than they told me at the application. I wait for five minutes while the man works, not saying anything. At this point I still don't know if they will let me in. But of course they did, because Canada is awesome. I shake the man's hand, collect my luggage, say bye and happy holidays (thanks for the heads up Meghan) to my travel companions and proceed to meet my friend Amy at pickup. We catch up, talk about flies, and proceed to go to the transit. At this point I am feeling very hot because I packed for a cold Canada, while in fact it's not that cold yet. Sweaty and no Idea where I am we arrive at my new home. I meet most of my new roommates and the landlords. They're all very friendly and helpful and before I know it I'm settled. Amy and I head back downton (I live a bit north of downtown) to meet my friend Sam and her fiance Brad for dinner. At this point I've been up for 24 hours or so, and since we traveled east I had experienced a 7 hour sunset which messed up my system good. I get a strong cup of coffee from the slick dressed bartender and we have a lovely dinner. Amy, she sweetheart that she is, takes me home again. I was so tired and confused. 
This is where the title of this piece comes in. Canada is what I expected from american media and entertainment. But being there feels quite different. So I was in a sort of surreal state between familiarity and complete cultural differences. Now imagine this on a Saturday night when everyone is out to party and enjoy themselves.

The first days
I won't bother you with a detailed description of my day to day life, but I'll put down the essentials. 
Jetlag is a bitch, and I slept horrible. The days after however I quickly recover. Toronto doesn't seem so foreign during the day, and after settling I really like it at night. The transit is very easy to use once you get the hang of it (though I haven't yet). It's all a grid and you pick the direction you want to head, eg. the subway east-bound. Convenience stores are the best! I have a 24/7 store at a 1 minute walk from my room! Toronto doesn't close shops in the weekend, and everything is open until around 9 :) 
The first days consisted of me meeting some of my colleagues to be, some really nice and interesting people. I've already been to one board-game party and spend a lot of time with Amy shopping for essentials. 
I finally (quickly) met my new supervisor, a really nice guy, and the remainder of my colleagues. I got a good insight into the lab from lunch brakes, being shown around the confusing campus (which I'm sure it isn't), and a PhD defence talk by one of the lab members. One final thing I have to drop in before I end this chaotic blog: Shops where you can grind your own coffee and peanut butter!

Before I close, of course the title of my blog. What's that about? Well on the shuttle bus to UTM campus, the one I'll be taking every day most likely, there's a first aid kit and a morbidly named 'bodily fluids cleanup kit'. Since these away from home blogs can be reminiscing and emotional at times I found this an appropriate title for my blog, where I can share my one bodily fluid (it's tears! I know you bastards will come up with other interpretations, but it's tears!). Even though I haven't felt that bad yet, in fact I feel great. I love Canada :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment